Monday, April 28, 2014

The God Who Reminds



I know there’s more than this
I know there’s more where it came from
I know there’s more to You
Than the box we’ve put You in
I’m searching for the deeper things
I’m searching for the deeper things of You

There’s more to You 
than what our painted windows have portrayed
There’s more than meets the eye 
than the buildings that we’ve made
I’m searching for the deeper things
I’m searching for the deeper things of You

There’s much more to Your bride
than religion has conveyed
Oh change the worldly eyes
to see the glory that You’ve made
We’re searching for the deeper things
We’re searching for the deeper things of You

I have to know You
I have to know You, Jesus

--Bethany Stephens, I Have to Know You



These lyrics capture my heart's attention this morning, causing it to beat a little faster as I think upon the One Who inspires such a response. A response from deep within that says, "I have to know You!" How can we help but be inspired by Him? How can we help but love Him? How can we help but praise Him? He has created, provided for, and held together all we see and all we are. He has poured out His love in such great measure upon us! His majesty and His faithfulness are at the very least breathtakingly beautiful. Sometimes I feel at such a loss for words…but maybe that's a good thing. It allows the spirit to express what words cannot. The spirit inside comes to life and begins to dance and sing and witness to the truth and beauty of God's heart. We worship in spirit and in truth...

I remember being asked once what Jesus looked like to me, and I instantly saw the eyes of every single person that has ever loved me like Jesus flashing one at a time through my mind's eye. So many beautiful people that Jesus has made His home in…they were all revealing His eyes. Deep, penetrating eyes that were brimming with understanding, gentle love and fiery passion all at the same time. Eyes that made me feel known and loved so deeply and completely. Experiencing that vision made me even more in love with His heart and more desiring of His presence. We never get to a point where we know it all or where we have exhausted our pursuit of knowing Him more. There's always something new to discover about Him. And doesn't that point alone excite you? The adventure and discovery of intimately knowing more of His heart each day?

What if we engage our imagination a little and imagine He is sitting at the foot of our bed every morning, eager to talk to us and begin our day of adventure together. What if we imagine He follows us everywhere we go, listening attentively and lovingly putting His hand on our shoulder to steady us and encourage us. What if we imagine He is commanding angels to act on our behalf when things are becoming difficult or the enemy is prowling at our heels. What if we imagine He is preparing the table for us, reminding us of His willingness to be a sacrifice for us. What if He is tucking us into bed, tenderly kissing our cheek, and telling us how much He adores us. What if He is praying over us and singing lullabies over us as we drift off to sleep. What if? Now these are the 'what-ifs' we should think on. These what-ifs encourage my heart when it grows faint within me. Imagining God with us is not hard because He IS right there with us. He IS helping us. He IS praying for us and singing over us. His Word is full of examples of such! Our lives are full of examples of such! We just need to be reminded of it sometimes. Jesus said the Holy Spirit is sent to remind us. "But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you." (John 14:26)

I pray this morning that Holy Spirit will bring to your mind all the ways He has been faithful, all the promises He has made in His Word, and that it would bring your heart JOY and assurance. I pray that He'd show you how He looked with joy and loving anticipation upon you as you entered the world. How He looked longingly at you when you were looking away. How He and the heavenlies rejoiced as you declared Him your Savior and Lord. How He is working things out on your behalf and protecting you even when you can't see it. That He'd remind you of how He scooped you up in His arms and held you against His heart when you were broken and hurting. How He protected you from the enemy's trap. I pray these reminders would settle any uncertainty within you about whether He will come through for you. I pray that you see in His word of truth how many times and ways He saved, healed and delivered His people. And that He'd speak to your spirit, affirming you with the truth that He thinks you're worth it, too!


Psalm 107
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so,
whom he has redeemed from trouble
and gathered in from the lands,
from the east and from the west,
from the north and from the south.
Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love,
for his wondrous works to the children of man! 
For he satisfies the longing soul, 
and the hungry soul he fills with good things. 
Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things; 
let them consider the steadfast love of the Lord.


Kerri
February 6, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment