Friday, April 15, 2016

Responding to Mercy




The sacred writings contain preliminary reports by the prophets on God’s Son. His descent from David roots him in history; his unique identity as Son of God was shown by the Spirit when Jesus was raised from the dead, setting him apart as the Messiah, our Master. Through him we received both the generous gift of his life and the urgent task of passing it on to others who receive it by entering into obedient trust in Jesus. You are who you are through this gift and call of Jesus Christ! Romans 1:2-7
     I simply read the passage above and become a student, teachable and eager to learn. I can simply share my desire to step into all that this merciful, generous God has for me, all He created me to be. To step into the calling He has placed on all of us, as believers, to share His good news of salvation. When we do, we are doing the will of God. We are displaying a part of His glory (by His grace) that the world should see and long for themselves. A lamp made aglow and put on a lamp stand.
The more we get what we now call ‘ourselves’ out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. The more I resist Him and try to live on my own, the more I become dominated by my own heredity and upbringing and surroundings and natural desires. It is when I turn to Christ, when I give myself up to His Personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own. - CS Lewis, Mere Christianity
     My sister shared the CS Lewis quote above with me this morning. I couldn't help but add it in. It fits with Romans 1 where it states, "You are who you are through this gift and call of Jesus". Because I have received His mercy, my heart cannot help but respond in praise. To be obedient to Him. The mercy He displays creates a desire in me to get to know Him and His will. To connect to Him and learn from Him. To love Him. Serve Him. Honor Him. Not just with my words, but with my very life.

     A worship leader I used to have the privilege of listening to on Sunday mornings - Harvest - sings a song called God Demonstrates. Click here and take a listen: https://youtu.be/phI80wPUuSU. You'll be glad you did.

God, You are everything I need. My heart longs to be near You and be rooted in Your love. Your presence becomes a refuge and a delight to my soul. Continue to show us Your mercy. Continue to bless us with it. Let it wash over us and fill us with a fresh awe. Let it cause our hearts to respond to You. Respond with our lives. To You be all honor and glory and praise forever. Amen!





   

No comments:

Post a Comment