Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Encouragement

Think about what we have in Christ: the encouragement he has brought us, the comfort of his love, our sharing in his Spirit, and the mercy and kindness he has shown us. If you enjoy these blessings, then do what will make my joy complete: Agree with each other, and show your love for each other. Be united in your goals and in the way you think. In whatever you do, don’t let selfishness or pride be your guide. Be humble, and honor others more than yourselves. Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.
In your life together, think the way Christ Jesus thought. He was like God in every way, but he did not think that his being equal with God was something to use for his own benefit. Instead, he gave up everything, even his place with God. He accepted the role of a servant, appearing in human form. During his life as a man, he humbled himself by being fully obedient to God, even when that caused his death—death on a cross. So God raised him up to the most important place and gave him the name that is greater than any other name. God did this so that every person will bow down to honor the name of Jesus.  Everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth will bow. They will all confess, “Jesus Christ is Lord,”and this will bring glory to God the Father.  Philippians 2:1-11


Sometimes, we need look no further than the Scriptures to find encouragement.  As we read them, we find an ancient yet current truth that surges through us like a bolt of lightning.  The scriptures are said to be "living and active and full of power".  (Hebrews 4:12AMP)  I believe this to be true and have experienced this personally.  From the time I came to know the Lord, He put in me a love for His Word. There are times that it speaks straight to my heart with such precision and personalization, that I am just astounded, for lack of a better word.  It moves me to tears.  It fills me with wonder.  It challenges me.  It corrects me.  Joy, peace, and love are enveloped by every page.  

Romans 15:5 says, "All patience and encouragement come from God."  If we believe God to be in the hearts of His people, then we have to consider ourselves as an important vessel of encouragement, as well.  Those scriptures that we meditate upon are not just for our good, but the good of all.  There is a humongous space in this world for us to share His truth and be an encouragement to one another.  I have witnessed time and again, the strength of an encouraging word spoken.  It is God's Spirit pouring forth a blessing.  It is timely, personal and uplifting.  It can be life-changing!

Today, I encourage you to reach into His Word and engage the Holy Spirit.  Then reach out to someone He highlights to you and offer encouragement.  It will bless you and them!  

Jesus, You are the most encouraging One I know!  Help me to lift others up like You do.  Help me to notice the ones that are in need of a "leg-up" and help them back in the saddle.  You are so full of joy and peace and love, and I come to You as my source of all I need.  Pour Your Spirit into me so that I serve with the same humility and grace You display.  


No comments:

Post a Comment